The Opus College of Engineering curriculum reflects engineering education in the 21st century. This includes using the latest computer technologies in both teaching and learning to prepare students for a future increasingly defined by digital technology and team-based work-spaces. As a result, all engineering students are required to have a laptop computer.
Most engineering students will use advanced engineering software that requires additional computing resources. Marquette Engineering IT staff have worked with Dell and Paragon Development Systems (PDS) to offer pre-configured laptops with educational discounts.
Laptop Purchase Program
Most Opus College of Engineering students will use advanced engineering software that requires additional computing resources. Students may order college recommended laptops from Dell at www.dell.com/marquette or HP & Lenovo laptops through Paragon Development Systems (PDS) at www.pdspc.com/marquette. Both companies offer educational discounts and 4-year next-business day on-site warranty service standard. Dell’s ProSupport Plus warranty includes accidental damage protection for no additional cost. Please order your laptop before July 1, 2018. Delivery may take 4-6 weeks.
Engineering Recommended Laptops – 2018
All of these laptops will meet the engineering software hardware requirements. You may select among this list of laptops given your preferences on screen size, budget, manufacturer and warranty. All of these laptop models are recommended for purchase at educational discounted prices:
- Dell Inspiron, XPS and Precision Models
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga, P-Series, Flex Models
- HP ProBook, EliteBook, ZBook Models
If you would like to compare laptop models and specifications, please review the following:
Please order your laptop before July 1, 2018. Delivery may take 4-6 weeks.
Laptop System Minimum Requirements
- Processor: Minimum of dual-core with hyper-threading. Quad-core recommended.
- Use the Processor Selection Guide to determine if the processor will work.
- Operating System: Laptops must have Windows 10 installed.
- Most engineering software will not run on MacOS.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM minimum. 16 GB RAM highly recommended.
- Hard Drive: 256 GB Hard Disk Drive minimum. Solid State Drive (SSD) highly recommended.
- Network: 802.11 AC wireless and Cat-6 Ethernet network cable
- Warranty: 4 year warranty highly recommended
- Other: Laptop security cable, USB or wireless mouse, and 32 GB flash drive recommended.
Computer Support Policy
The College of Engineering offers students basic computer support to assist with the installation of required engineering software applications. Support is limited to Windows 10 operating systems. On Apple computers, students with more advanced technology experience may install Windows within a Bootcamp environment. However, due to the nature and complexity of operating systems, the computer support staff does not assist with Windows installations on Apple computers. Students are encouraged to contact their course instructors for assistance using the engineering software.
To request assistance with engineering software installations, please contact the COE Help Desk at 414-288-5140 or by e-mail at email@example.com. In-person support is offered to students at the COE Technology Services office, Engineering Hall room 254.